Friday, September 23, 2011

A Conversation. A Realization.

The boy and I usually have conversations that are funny, and some we can tag as mindless. Amidst one of these mindless conversations today, we realized something - and I don't know how that makes me feel.

When we were in schools, we studied about civilizations - the Harappan... Indus Valley..there was the time of the Mahabharata and Ramayan... the Mughal period - and a thought occurred - someday, we will be a part of these "History" lessons. They'd probably excavate some Blackberry's and try and figure what we did with them.

I wonder what language they'll use - what they would term our regional dialects - and I am not talking India - the world has some thousands of languages.

Movies like the Dark Knight might not be archived with a "forever" tag. The Taj in Mumbai will perhaps become a protected Monument ---!! The generations to come, might never know about global movements - or Google for that matter.

Perhaps this is why I have emphasized on crafts being a part of identity - maybe some Historian would be able to differentiate between an African soapstone, and Indian marble work!

And in the light of this huge realization, humans to me appear a small speck. And those things we call desire - sigh. Lets save that for another post.

I've heard a new civilization comes up every 600-650 years. I really want to live that long. #wishful thinking.

Because I am having trouble writing the last line - I will put it simply - The next civilization might never know about Harappa.

1 comment:

shaina Ahmed said...

Nice Post.